Common Ground Newsletter: June 2019
Contents: | Things to Do | Welcome | Registration Information | Registration Information for International Students | How Do I Register? | Degree Requirements | Buckeye Link Won't Let Me Register, Now What? | Who is your advisor? | Important Dates | Next Time | Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter
Begin Looking for Autumn Classes
Courses numbered at 5000 and above are considered graduate level
Courses numbered at 6000 and above are considered advanced level unless noted otherwise
2. Gather vaccine records
3. International students, refer to Pre-Arrival information
If you missed the first issue of Common Ground, you can find it online here.
Enjoy your summer!
Tricia Toothman, PhD Program Coordinator
& Beth Bucher, MS Program Coordinator
Electrical and Computer Engineering
By now you should have accepted your admission online, but if you haven’t, you will need to do so before you can actually register. If you don’t know how, take a look back at the first issue of Common Ground, Let's make your admission official, or follow the link below. After you click "Accept", it will usually take a day or two for all of the university systems to recognize that you have accepted admission, so please keep this in mind.
Selecting your graduate courses will likely be much different than selecting your undergraduate courses. You will have the option to choose courses based on your interests as long as they meet some general requirements. You will be able to discuss your choices with faculty on orientation day or in the days before classes start. The enrollment deadline is the first Friday of the semester.
So, how do you register for courses? Hopefully you have had the opportunity to familiarize yourself with Buckeye Link, which is Ohio State’s hub for just about everything. You should automatically be taken to the “Student” section of Buckeye Link when you first visit the site. For additional information, refer to the Graduate School's Course Registration instructions.
All information regarding degree requirements can be found on the degrees & requirements page on the ECE website. All students are encouraged to familiarize themselves with ECE degree requirements in the ECE Graduate Student Handbook, as well as the OSU Graduate Student Handbook.
You have selected your courses, learned how to navigate Buckeye Link and are ready to register for classes.Sometimes the system does not allow you to enroll online. So, what can you do?
In ECE, there are two ways to add courses:
- Online: When your registration window is open, the system recognizes you have met pre-requisites and permits you to add the course online.
- With Instructor Permission: Instructor permission is needed when the online system will not allow you to add the course either because the course is coded to require instructor permission, or because the system does not recognize that you have the prerequisites. Instructor permission can be obtained by using the Course Enrollment Permission form, or with email permission from the instructor's OSU email account. Approval is at the instructor's discretion. Either the form or an email is submitted to Registration Services at the Graduate School, 247 University Hall.
For Master's students:
- A faculty advisor will be assigned to you.
- You will receive an email with the name of your assigned faculty advisor. MS advisors will meet with their advisees on orientation day.
For Ph.D. students:
- For PhD students, your faculty advisor is the faculty member who extended a financial aid offer to you.
- If you do not have a faculty advisor, you should plan to actively seek out a faculty advisor by the end of the second semester of enrollment in the ECE graduate program.
ECE Department Orientation Part 1: DATE CHANGE: Wednesday August 14, 2019, 8:30 am - 12:00 pm (MS students, 8:30am - 2:00pm) 113 Dreese Laboratories, 2015 Neil Avenue
Sign-in at orientation
ECE Department Orientation Part 2: Friday, August 16, 2019, 8:30am - 12:00pm, 113 Dreese Laboratories, 2015 Neil Avenue.
- Sign-in at orientation
MS Faculty Advisors will be assigned in early August. Contact your MS Faculty Advisor if you are unable to attend orientation.
Graduate School Welcome and Resource Fair: More information to come!
OSU Office of International Affairs Check-In and Orientation: Check-in dates between July 29 - August 14, 2019. Mandatory orientation is Thursday, August 15, 2019
First Day of Classes: Tuesday, August 20, 2019