- Assistant Professor, Electrical & Computer Engr.
2015 Neil Ave
Columbus, OH 43210
Areas of interest
III-V compound semiconductor technology for materials and devices: molecular beam epitaxial growth and characterization of materials, as well as realization of photonic devices using these materials, such as GaN, GaAs, InP and GaSb. Basic III-V materials processing technology, device physics and design, device development and characterization, building complex photonic integrated circuits based on III-V as well as Silicon and the associated subsystems including analog coherent receivers, energy-efficient transceivers and photonic sensors; being eventually useful for both military and civilian applications.
Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
205 Caldwell Laboratory
2024 Neil Avenue
Columbus, OH 43210
205 Caldwell Laboratory
Dr. Shamsul Arafin previously worked as a Project Scientist in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of California Santa Barbara (UCSB), CA, USA. Prior to joining UCSB, he worked as a Postdoctoral Research Scholar in Device Research Laboratory at the University of California Los Angeles, CA, USA. He received the B.Sc. degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh, in 2005, the M.Sc. degree in communication technology from Universitat Ulm, Ulm, Germany, in 2008, and the Ph.D. degree from the Walter Schottky Institut, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany, in 2012. He is a senior member of the IEEE and OSA.
- Arafin, S.; Mcfadden, A.P.; Paul, B.; Hasan, S.M.N. et al., 2019, "Study of wet and dry etching processes for antimonide-based photonic ICs." Optical Materials Express 9, no. 4,
- Arafin, S.; Simsek, A.; Lu, M.; Rodwell, M.J. et al., 2017, "Heterodyne locking of a fully integrated optical phase-locked loop with on-chip modulators." OPTICS LETTERS 42, no. 19, 3745-3748 - 3745-3748.
- Li, W.; Lu, M.; Mecozzi, A.; Vasilyev, M. et al., 2016, "First Monolithically Integrated Dual-Pumped Phase-Sensitive Amplifier Chip Based on a Saturated Semiconductor Optical Amplifier." IEEE JOURNAL OF QUANTUM ELECTRONICS 52, no. 1,
- Chu, C-P.; Arafin, S.; Huang, G.; Nie, T. et al., 2014, "Selectively grown GaAs nanodisks on Si(100) by molecular beam epitaxy." JOURNAL OF VACUUM SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY B 32, no. 2,
- Arafin, S.; Bachmann, A.; Vizbaras, K.; Hangauer, A. et al., 2011, "Comprehensive analysis of electrically-pumped GaSb-based VCSELs." OPTICS EXPRESS 19, no. 18, 17267-17282 - 17267-17282.
- Bachmann, A.; Arafin, S.; Kashani-Shirazi, K., 2009, "Single-mode electrically pumped GaSb-based VCSELs emitting continuous-wave at 2.4 and 2.6 mu m." NEW JOURNAL OF PHYSICS 11,
Papers in Proceedings
- Simsek, A.; Arafin, S.; Kim, S-K.; Morrison, G.B. et al. "Evolution of Chip-Scale Heterodyne Optical Phase-Locked Loops Toward Watt Level Power Consumption." in Optical Fiber Communications Conference and Exhibition (OFC). (1 2018).
- Isaac, B.; Song, B.; Pinna, S.; Arafin, S. et al. "Indium Phosphide Photonic Integrated Circuit Transmitter with Integrated Linewidth Narrowing for Laser Communications and Sensing." in 26th IEEE International Conference on Semiconductor Laser. (1 2018).
- Arafin, S.; Simsek, A.; Kim, S-K.; Dwivedi, S. et al. "Optical Frequency Synthesis by Offset-Locking to a Microresonator Comb." (1 2017).
- Arafin, S.; Simsek, A.; Kim, S-K.; Liang, W. et al. "Optical Frequency Synthesis by Offset-Locking the Tunable Local-Oscillator of a Low-Power Integrated Receiver to a Microresonator Comb." (1 2017).
- Arafin, S.; Simsek, A.; Kim, S-K.; Rodwell, M.J. et al. "Optical Synthesis Using Kerr Frequency Combs." (1 2017).
- Simsek, A.; Arafin, S.; Kim, S-K.; Morrison, G. et al. "A Chip-Scale Heterodyne Optical Phase-Locked Loop with Low-Power Consumption." (1 2017).
- Eales, T.; Marko, I.P.; Ikyo, B.A.; Adams, A.R. et al. "Auger Recombination in Type I GaInAsSb/GaSb Lasers and its Variation with Wavelength in the 2-3 mu m Range." (1 2017).
- Arafin, S.; Morrison, G.; Mashanovitch, M.; Johansson, L.A. et al. "Coupled-Cavity Lasers for a Low-Power Integrated Coherent Optical Receiver." (1 2017).
- Eales, T.; Marko, I.P.; Ikyo, B.A.; Adams, A.R. et al. "Wavelength dependence of efficiency limiting mechanisms in Type I GaInAsSb/GaSb lasers emitting in the mid-infrared." (1 2016).
- Li, W.; Lu, M.; Johansson, L.; Mashanovitch, M. et al. "First Demonstration of an Integrated Photonic Phase Sensitive Amplifier." (1 2015).
- Vizbaras, K.; Bachmann, A.; Arafin, S.; Sailer, K. et al. "MBE growth of low threshold GaSb-based lasers with emission wavelengths in the range of 2.5-2.7 mu m." (5 2011).
- Amann, M-C.; Arafin, S.; Vizbaras, K. "Single mode and tunable GaSb-based VCSELs for wavelengths above 2 mu m." (1 2011).
- Ortsiefer, M.; Neumeyr, C.; Rosskopf, J.; Arafin, S. et al. "GaSb and InP-based VCSELs at 2.3 mu m emission wavelength for tuneable diode laser spectroscopy of carbon monoxide." (1 2011).
- Arafin, S.; Bachmann, A.; Vizbaras, K.; Amann, M-C. et al. "Large-aperture single-mode GaSb-based BTJ-VCSELs at 2.62 mu m." (1 2010).
- Arafin, S.; Bachmann, A.; Vizbaras, K.; Gustavsson, J. et al. "Large-Area Single-Mode GaSb-based VCSELs using an Inverted Surface Relief." (1 2010).
- Bachmann, A.; Arafin, S.; Kashani-Shirazi, K.; Amann, M-C. "Long wavelength electrically pumped GaSb-based Buried Tunnel Junction VCSELs." (1 2010).
- Arafin, S.; Bachmann, A.; Kashani-Shirazi, K.; Amann, M-C. et al. "Continuous-Wave Electrically-Pumped GaSb-based VCSELs at similar to 2.6 mu m Operating up to 50 degrees C." (1 2009).
- Arafin, S.; Bachmann, A.; Kasham-Shirazi, K.; Amann, M-C. et al. "Continuous-Wave Single-Mode Electrically -Pumped GaSb-based VCSELs at 2.5 mu m." (1 2009).
- Arafin, S.; Bachmann, A.; Kashani-Shirazi, K.; Priyabadini, S. et al. "Low-resistive sulphur-treated ohmic contacts to n-type InAsSb." (12 2009).