- ECE and IMR Comm Specialist, Electrical & Computer Engr.
Phone: 614-688-1420 Cell: 937-844-6043
Columbus, OH 43210
Office: (M-F 8 a.m.- 5 p.m.) 614-688-1420
Cell: (937) 844-6043
2013 - MA, Kent State University, Mass Communications and Public Relations
2000 - BA, Ohio State University, English (focus on Modern American Literature and Creative Writing)
Strategic Communications Consultant, Freelance Public Relations
Assist non-profits, small businesses, municipalities and multi-media organizations with training in modern public relations best practices. Experienced in crisis communications, social media management, internal communications, strategic writing, PR law, content marketing, communication plans, publications, editing, photography, digital design and music production.
Journalist, Marysville Journal-Tribune
2001 – 2014
Work with city, county and state leaders, to guide communications with the public. Cover breaking news, crime, government and county issues on a daily assignment. Train professionals in media relations and community outreach. Additional focus placed on health, finance, business, environment, features, columns, social media, general editing and photography. Business editor duties added in 2002. Received numerous Ohio Associated Press awards over the years. AP judges wrote, "Horns is a born story-teller."
Editor, Demand Studios
2009 – 2011
Maintained the integrity of articles written for Demand Media Studios, supplying content for companies such as eHow, LiveStrong.com, Rachel Ray, Cracked.com, Trails.com, Golflink, and USA Today. Duties entailed training writers and upholding current Associated Press style and studio guidelines; while ensuring accuracy and comprehension.
Music Journalist, Columbus Alive
2001 – 2004
Provided the Columbus metropolitan readers with entertainment news focused on the local and national music scene on a weekly deadline. Duties required interviewing musicians, artists and business figures for feature articles, marketing strategies, as well as album/live concert reviews.
Journalist, Suburban News Publications
2000 – 2001
The SNP news group provides local coverage to the suburbs of Columbus, Ohio. Provided simultaneous local schools, feature, crime and government coverage for Bexley News and New Albany News. Later provided similar coverage for Canal Winchester News and the Pickerington Sun-Times.
Journalist/Digital PR, MTV/MTV2
1997 – 2000
Covered the Columbus, Ohio music scene for the www.mtv.com and www.mtv2.com web-sites in their early stages. Coverage entailed weekly assignments, including writing feature articles, conducting extensive interviews, live music coverage on national and regional bands, as well as investigative and business topics. Organized local music festivals and assisted businesses with marketing strategies. Additionally, provided maintenance for the Columbus, OH. MTV/MTV2 web site through HTML writing and photography.
Head Copywriter, K Mart - Bluelight.com
1999 – 2000
Wrote advertising copy for the Kmart web site, including clothing, furniture, household items and children’s toys. In charge of delegating duties and training a staff of three.
Awards and Recognition:
• 2013, Volunteer of the Year Award, Union County Humane Society
• 2001 Ohio AP Award, “Best Investigative Reporting."
• 2004 Ohio AP Award, "Best Business Writer."
• 2006 Ohio AP Award, "Best Breaking News."
• 2008 Ohio AP Award, "Best Column Writer."
• 2008 Ohio AP Award, "Best Feature Writer" in Ohio.
• 2008 Ohio AP Award, "Best Community Service."
• 2010 Ohio AP Award, "Best Business Writer."
• 2011 Ohio AP Award, "Best Business Writer."
• 2012 Ohio AP Award, "Best Columnist."
• 2012 Ohio AP Award, "Best Community Service."
• 2012 Ohio AP Award, "Best Business Writer."
• 2013 Ohio AP Award, "Best Investigative Reporting."
• 2013 Ohio AP Award, "Best Community Service."
• 2013 Ohio AP Award, "Best Breaking News Photo."
• 1996 Kuhn Creative Writing Award through the OSU English Department.
• Received a "Hero Award" through the City of Toledo for assisting victims of a stranded boat during a storm on Lake Erie in 1992.