- Assistant Professor, Electrical & Computer Engr.
2015 Neil Ave
Columbus, OH 43210
• 2017 to present: Assistant Professor, The Ohio State University.
• 2012 to 2017: Assistant Professor, Oregon State University.
• 2010 to 2012: Control Engineer, Ford Motor Company, Dearborn, MI. Design and development of electric machine drive and power electronics control strategies and specifications for Ford’s 2013 hybrid electric vehicle products including Fusion Hybrid, Fusion Plug-in Hybrid, C-Max Hybrid and C-Max Plug-in Hybrid.
• 2010: Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, The Ohio State University
Julia Zhang’s research interests include:
• Design, modeling, controls of AC electric machines and drives.
• Applications: road vehicles, ships, aircraft, renewable energy conversion, power systems, robotic systems.
• Vehicle noise, vibration and harness issues caused by electric machines and drives.
• High voltage engineering.
Research Assistant Hiring, Fall 2019
I am looking for 4 graduate research assistants (M.S. or Ph.D.) starting from Fall 2018. A higher priority is given to Ph.D. program applicants regarding financial supports. Applicants with their B.S. degrees are highly encouraged to apply for the Ph.D. program if you have a strong interest. Please DO NOT worry that you do not have an M.S. degree.
Next year, I am looking for applicants who have been taking classes or research experience in one of the following areas:
1) Power engineering: power electronics, electric machines, drives, power systems, high voltage engineering.
2) Mechanical engineering: statics and dynamics, mechanics of materials, thermodynamics, heat transfer, manufacturing processing engineering, kinematics and mechanism design.
If you are interested in working with me or have questions, please email me with the following info or your questions.
- All transcripts.
- GRE score is required for all domestic and international applicants. Minimum requirement: 155 (V), 160 (Q), 4.5 (W).
- TOEFL score is required for all international applicants. Minimum requirement: 100 (total), 24 (reading), 24 (listening), 22 (speaking), 24 (writing).
- Briefly discuss your career goals (<80 words)
Current Research Projects
- Electric machine winding insulation minimization for electric vehicles, PI, funded by Ford Motor Company, 2016 to 2019.
- Variable flux machines for hybrid electric vehicles, PI, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy (DoE), 2018 to 2019.
- Insulation degradation and breakdown modeling and testing for windings of variable speed drives, PI, funded by the U.S. Office of Naval Research (ONR), 2015 to 2019.
- Hybrid/turbo-electric propulsion, PI, funded by the Ohio Federal Research Network (OFRN), 2016 to 2019.
- Brushless doubly-fed machine and drive systems for aviation application, PI, funded by the Ohio Federal Research Network (OFRN), 2018 to 2019.
- High-fidelity modeling and control of integrated starter/generator systems for aircraft, PI, funded by SAFRAN, 2018.
- Integrated electric drive with high voltage high speed modular electric machine and SiC based power converters, co-PI, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy (DoE), 2016 to 2019.
- Development, demonstration and commercialization of SiC based 1-MW medium voltage motor drive system, co-PI, funded by Power America, 2018 to 2019.
- Electric propulsion: challenges and opportunities, co-PI, funded by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), 2017 to 2022.
- Peng, P.; Xiong, H.; Zhang, J.; Li, W. et al., 2017, "Effects of External Field Orientation on Permanent Magnet Demagnetization." IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 53, no. 4, 3438-3446 - 3438-3446.
- Ke, Z.; Zhang, J.; Degner, M.W., 2017, "DC Bus Capacitor Discharge of Permanent-Magnet Synchronous Machine Drive Systems for Hybrid Electric Vehicles." IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 53, no. 2, 1399-1405 - 1399-1405.
- Ke, Z.; Zhang, J.; Raich, R., 2017, "Low-Frequency Current Oscillation Reduction for Six-Step Operation of Three-Phase Inverters." IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics 32, no. 4, 2948-2956 - 2948-2956.
- McCamish, B.; Kulkarni, J.; Ke, Z.; Harpool, S. et al., 2017, "A rapid PMU-based load composition and PMU estimation method." Electric Power Systems Research 143, 44-52 - 44-52.
- Xiong, H.; Zhang, J.; Degner, M.W.; Rong, C. et al., 2016, "Permanent-Magnet Demagnetization Design and Validation." IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 52, no. 4, 2961-2970 - 2961-2970.
- Xu, L.; Zhang, Y.; Wen, X., 2009, "Multioperational Modes and Control Strategies of Dual-Mechanical-Port Machine for Hybrid Electrical Vehicles." IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 45, no. 2, 747-755 - 747-755.